The three decade old quota system on international textile and apparel shipments was dismantled at the end of 2004, with experts predicting that China and India would probably come to dominate about 80 per cent of the global textile market in the post-MFA era, while the remaining 20 per cent would be shared by the rest of the world .“Dubai’s strategic advantage is the close proximity to the exporting countries and its historical position as the trading hub for a region that spans across South Asia, Middle East, Africa, and lately Europe,” says Geoffery Booy, Exhibition Director, Motexha 2006. “With the opening up of global markets, Dubai as a trading destination for textiles has been firmly put in place, evidenced by the number of traders and buyers who are flocking to the city to conduct their business.”.“Dubai is significantly advantaged by the concerted efforts taken by China and India in the textile sector and the traditional well entrenched trading relationship it has had with the Asian majors,” says Booy. “India especially is eyeing major gains in the coming year as the country has cut key duties and enhanced the allocation for the technology upgradation fund in the textile industry.” The Indian federal budget for the fiscal 2006-07 has allocated technology upgradation fund scheme for textile companies from Rs.4.35 billion (US$ 98 million) to Rs.5.35 billion. Industry representatives have noted that the upgradation fund scheme will help small power looms and big textile industries to modernise and equip themselves to face global challenges. The Indian government has set a target of earning US$ 50 billion through textile exports by 2010 “There are three major segments that are likely to benefit in the post quota era, namely, garments, denim and home textiles,” says David Wang, General Manager, China Orient. “Chinese industries are fully poised to meet demands in these segments. Over 45 companies from Chinese mainland have confirmed their presence in Motexha 2006. Their presence at the show has justified Motexha’s position as the leading event of its kind in the region show for fashion, textiles, leather and accessories.” .The number of Chinese traders represented at Motexha 2006 has grown 22 per cent from the year before. The Chinese traders are fronted at the show by delegations from China Chamber of Commerce of Textiles, Sinobal and China Orient.Meanwhile, figures from US Office of Textile and Apparel (OTEXA), in 2005, has shown that India’s textile and apparel exports increased 22 per cent in volumes and 27 per cent in value terms at US$ 46.16 billion. The figure is significantly miniscule when compared to China, whose exports are valued at over US$ 100 billion. The country has however, fared better than Pakistan and Bangladesh in terms of growth in exports due to factors like abundance of raw materials, such as cotton, and low-cost skilled labour and designers were expected to drive further growth of the Indian textile industry.Earlier studies from WTO had indicated that eliminating quotas would impact export volume with an increase in the range of 17.5 per cent to 72.5 per cent. US, Canada and EU remains the top exporting destinations and China and India combined take of 65 per cent of the imports of textiles and clothing in these countries. Also imports as a share of domestic demands in the post quota phase has seen a dramatic growth with over 21.5 per cent in textiles and 45 per cent for clothing in US and Canada while EU posted 53 per cent for textiles and 51 per cent for clothing.Motexha 2006, is set to take place between 3rd-6th April 2006 aims to bring together international and local exhibitors, alongside government trade associations to do business with the region’s prominent buyers, retailers, decision makers, dealers and distributors. Motexha is a calendar event for wholesalers and distributors that leverage its trade platform to sell to regional-wide retailers, as well as for retailers that look to the exhibition to predict new trends and fashion for the next season. Motexha is officially supported by Texmas, 300 member strong textile merchants group and the promoters of the AED 220 million Dubai Textile City .Source: strategiy.com.